Sunday 1 February 2015

Restoran Rijayah @ Hulu Bernam, Selangor

Restaurant Rijayah is located along the main road on the Ulu Bernam side of town. Assuming if you are coming in from Tanjung Malim heading towards Ulu Bernam, this restaurant is located on the left just before the turning into Jalan Changkat Asa. I just visited this restaurant for the first time some 15 days ago and as mentioned then, I have returned again today to try out their Nasi Lemak which seems to be a very famous dish here. 

Tables Outside The Restaurant

Interior Of The Restaurant
Before my first visit, I always thought that this was a Chinese Restaurant as whenever I used to pass by, most if not all their customers were Chinese. Even today it was the same and I was shocked to learn that this is actually an Indian Restaurant when I came here a fortnight ago. The name of the place is Restaurant Rijayah but it is fondly called as Akka Kadai by the locals. It was interesting to note that they also sell Chinese food here. The last trip here, I was told by my friend that the famous items here are their Roti Canai, Nasi Lemak, Hokkien Mee, Cantonese Style Noodles and Chili Chicken. I was surely impressed to see an Indian preparing these dishes and the place is well supported by the local Chinese and Indian folks. The restaurant is simple and is a no frills place. I observed that the family lived here too, on the rear side of the shop lot. 

Teh O @ RM 1.00

Teh Tarik @ RM 1.10
Everyone working here is a family member. One takes the orders, one prepares the curries,one makes the Roti Canai and one does the cooking while the mother prepares the drinks. The place was a pleasant environment to be in and no wonder I see a lot of customers here who sit till the wee hours sipping a drink and enjoying their meal. As for today, my brother ordered a glass of Teh O which was priced at RM 1.00 and I ordered a cup of Teh Tarik which was priced at RM 1.10 . Both their Tea and Teh O were good and I would rate it at 8.3/10 and the prices are much cheaper than other restaurants.

Nasi Lemak @ RM 2.50

Nasi Lemak @ RM 2.50

Mildly Spicy Sambal

Mildly Spicy Sambal

Omelette

Peanuts and Anchovies
Since I have tried their other famous dishes on my last trip here, this trip was specifically dedicated to try their Nasi Lemak which is their most famous dish. Their plain Nasi Lemak is priced at RM 2.50 per plate, which is a very reasonable price. It comes with quite a bit of mildly spicy Sambal, Fried Peanuts, an Omelette and some Fried Anchovies. The rice was fragrant and it was good. Tasted very much like a Nasi Lemak which was prepared by an Indian and not the Malay style of taste. For me, I enjoyed it very much and would rate it at 8.7/10 . Definitely better than the Nasi Lemak sold at Restaurant Neelawathi which is just a 200 meters away. 

Fried Chicken @ RM 3.00

Fried Chicken @ RM 3.00
Both of us ordered a Fried Chicken each to go with our Nasi Lemak and we had specifically asked them to be served separately on two different plates. Their Fried Chicken tasted very good and it was all lean meat. I also loved the marination which was very good. The only setback which could be a major setback for many was that that the Fried Chicken was served cold.  Despite being the wee hours of the day, guests would still prefer their meals to be served hot. I guess they must have fried it some time earlier this evening. Sad but true, otherwise this would have been a fantastic piece of Fried Chicken as it tasted so good. Taste wise, I would rate this at 9/10 but since it was served cold, it would only be fair to rate this at 4/10 . Hope they would improve on this in the near future and I did inform 'Akka' as well. 

Address: Located Along Jalan Besar (Just Before Jalan Changkat Asa Turning),
                35900 Hulu Bernam, Selangor , Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1800 - 0400 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment