Saturday 28 September 2013

Chef Kit's Salt Baked Chicken @ Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya

Salt Baked Chicken is a traditional Hakka recipe and there a number of famous restaurants in Ipoh, Perak that sells this dish. In Kuala Lumpur however, there are not many places that sell this dish and even if they do, it is not up to the mark. Today, I had managed to discover one restaurant in Damansara Utama called Chef Kit's Salt Baked Chicken that has been selling this for a number of years and they seem to be very famous. 

Restaurant Chef Kit's Salt Baked Chicken in Damansara Utama

The Baking Area on the right
This restaurant is located along the same row as The Ship Restaurant in Damansara Utama. The set up is very simple and while I was here today, I observed that there were not many who dine in as most of them prefer take aways. The boss is a very friendly guy and since he was quite free, he spent some time talking to me. He mentioned that despite his restaurant not having any Halal status, it is Pork Free and hence he has a lot of Malay customers who buy his chicken. The chicken is baked in one corner of the restaurant which is clearly visible to customers as it has glass panels. He has two versions of the chicken, original as well as crispy and he always uses Kampung Chicken for this purpose. He usually starts business at 10.30 am every morning and although he is scheduled to close at 9 pm, most days he ends up closing much sooner as he runs out of chicken. Even while speaking to me, the conversation was interrupted by a number of phone calls from customers who were calling to book a number of birds for the next day. Besides walk ins, he also does delivery to a number of neighbouring areas. 

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
The menu had a number of items but the concentration was always around the Salt Baked Chicken and having it served in a number of different combinations. I was confused as to what to order and had asked for his recommendation. He suggested for me to try the Loh Shi Fun and a plate of Original Salt Baked Chicken. He mentioned that these are his two signature dishes. As for the drink, he suggested me to try his Honey Lime Ice which is one of his hot selling drinks and having got the recommendation from the boss himself, I just agreed as he could not go wrong with his own dishes. 

Honey Lime Ice @ RM 2.80
As recommended, the Honey Lime Ice was splendid. It was pure, highly concentrated and did not have any flavourings. Definitely I would recommend this myself. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Claypot Loh Shi Fun @ RM 6.00

All Mixed Up
As this is a Pork Free restaurant, the meat that you see on top of the Loh Shi Fun is minced chicken. I have tried this dish in a number of places in Kuala Lumpur including some of the most famous restaurants for this dish and this restaurant would beat them all. This Claypot Loh Shi Fun was definitely the best that I had tried. It was heavenly and every bite was just so good. Absolutely delicious. I would rate this dish  a perfect 10/10 .

Original Salt Baked Chicken @ RM 7.50
The above is the Original Salt Baked Chicken and I ordered a quarter bird just to try the meat out. In my opinion, it was quite good, the best that I had tried in Kuala Lumpur but it was not better that Aun Kheng Lim Salt Baked Chicken which is the famous one in Ipoh. I would rate this at 9.2/10 .

Fried Wan Ton @ RM 5.00
Besides the recommended dishes, I also ordered the above Fried Wan Ton as I read some blog reviews which had claimed that this Fried Wan Ton is quite good here. To mention again, the meat used in the Wan Ton is chicken. I found this dish to be very well prepared. The skin was fried to crispiness and although the meat was rather small, it tasted good. I would rate these at 8.5/10 .

Based on my dining experience today, I would definitely vote for their Claypot Loh Shi Fun as well as the Salt Baked Chicken. Both of these dishes were excellent and not to forget the Honey Lime drink. It is always best to call first before heading here as you may not want to be disappointed when having arrived there and found that the restaurant was out of chicken or even closed for that matter. 

Address: No. 25, Jalan SS21/56B, Damansara Utama,
                47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 7722 2172 & +6012 239 8878 (Hoong)

Opening Hours: 1030 - 2100 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment