Wednesday 11 September 2013

Sakae Sushi @ Paradigm Mall, Petaling Jaya

Sakae Sushi is fairly a very popular chain of Japanese restaurants in Malaysia and although I am a huge fan of Japanese food, I have never tried any of their outlets until today. I was in Paradigm Mall, Kelana Jaya meeting a friend and we decided to have dinner together and while looking for a place to have dinner, we sighted this outlet and decided to give it a try.

Sakae Sushi Outlet in Paradigm Mall, Kelana Jaya

Sushi's Going Around On The Conveyor Belts

High Tech Gadget for ordering

Interior of the Restaurant
This outlet in Paradigm Mall is located on the Concourse Level and is relatively huge. As usual, it is common to find the food going around in the conveyor belts where you could just pick the dish and have them or you browse through their digital menu available on the tablets attached to the tables and select your dishes. This directly sends the order to the kitchen and once ready, it gets sent over to your table. I was not in for the plates that went around and instead placed my orders through the tablets provided. It was fairly simple to operate and an easy to use interface. 

Iced Genmai Tea @ RM 2.00

Hot Genmai Tea @ RM 2.00

Cutlery
Both of us had Green Tea. I ordered a cold one and my friend ordered a hot one. In fact when they served the hot one, it was just a glass with a tea bag in it and no water. Getting confused, I called upon one of the waitresses to ask for the water and that is when she showed me that piped hot water is made available at all tables. Pretty convenient. Regardless of hot or cold, a glass of Green Tea here is sold at RM 2.00 .

Salmon Sushi @ RM 3.99
The first to arrive was the above Salmon Sushi which was priced at RM 3.99 . A pretty weird price I thought to myself as they should have just priced it at RM 4.00 to make it easy. I would say that the sushi was quite fresh and reasonably well done. I am clear that in very commercial entities like these, you can't get pure authenticity but this was also rather good. I would rate the above Sushi at 8/10 .

Chawanmushi @ RM 3.90
Their Chawanmushi was rather good, in fact it was much better that I had expected it to be. It came with loads of fillings and was tasty. I would rate this at 9/10 .

California Maki Rolls @ RM 5.99
Another oddly priced dish but it was very good. Their Maki Rolls were perfectly done and it was one of the best that I have tried. I would rate this dish at 10/10 .Good work with this guys.

Tamago Yaki @ RM 1.99
Their Egg Rolls Sushi, also known in Japanese as Tamago Yaki was very reasonably priced.  For a plate of six, it cost a mere RM 1.99 . Taste wise it was quite decent too. I have tried much better ones but this was not bad. I would rate this at 7.5/10 .

Miso Soup @ RM 1.90
Another decent dish that was priced very reasonably.At RM 1.90, I think that that is a good bargain for the above dish. I found this to be quite good too in terms of taste. My rating for this would be 9/10 .

Yaki Gyoza @ RM 11.90
To me, this was a little disappointing. I found that the skin here was too thick and the filling was rather scanty. It should have been much better. I would only rate this dish at 5/10 .

Saba Shioyaki @ RM 12.90
Although this is another one of my favourite Japanese dishes, it was a let down here.There was just something that lacked when compared to what you get in those authentic Japanese places but bearing in mind that this is a chain of restaurants, this was acceptable. Taste wise, I would rate the above at 6/10 .

Chicken Katsu @ RM 9.90
This was also a slight let down for me. I have tried this in many places and it was just below the mark here. The meat was also too dry and lacked the juices which is usually found in this dish. I would only rate this at 4/10 .

Overall, I think that they are doing a decent job in providing above average Japanese food at a very competitive and affordable price and I guess that that is their main target segment. Most of the patrons here were Malaysians and you do not get Japanese people coming into this kind of restaurants which in itself shows that it lacks the authenticity. It is surely a good place to have Japanese food as it is very wallet friendly and would be very suitable for students who love Japanese food as well as people who would go for common Japanese food without the anticipation of having specialty dishes.

Address: CF 13, Paradigm Mall, No. 1, Jalan SS7/26, 
                47301 Kelana Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 2200 Daily

Telephone: +603 7887 3218


No comments:

Post a Comment