Friday 10 July 2015

Restoran Hijas @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Restoran Hijas is now the most popular Indian Muslim restaurant in Tanjung Malim. Located along Jalan Cahaya in Taman Anggerik Desa, this restaurant operates 24 hours daily and has a huge base of loyal customers, mostly from the nearby University. Though there ins't any illuminated sign at the restaurant, the place is occupying the same unit as Hotel Cahaya and is directly opposite the Hindu Temple at the traffic lights. Do note that this is not a Tamil Muslim restaurant as the owners are Malayalee Muslims. That being said, some of their food items would be tasting differently as the Malayalees are very famous for their Roti Canai, Tea and Fish Curry. I have been here many times before and have also blogged about them once but that was limited to their Roti Canai, Mee Goreng and Teh Tarik. Today, I am returning with an intent to try their rice and curries.

The Restaurant

Quite Empty
This evening, due to the fasting month, the place was quite empty. We arrived here slightly before the breaking fast time and food were freshly prepared and placed at the counter The available spread was excellent too. I know that the place would be full house in a matter of 30 minutes or so and decided on having a quick meal before the crowd arrives. 

Teh Tarik @ RM 1.30

Teh Tarik @ RM 1.30
Their Tea was very good. Well, Keralites are famous for their excellent tea and this was no exception here. I would rate their tea at 9.5/10 .

Teh O @ RM 1.20

Teh O @ RM 1.20

My Brother Having His Tea
My brother ordered a glass of Teh O and that too was very good. I would rate that at 9/10 . As the place was quite empty, we had the benefit of being served like priority customers. Having gotten our drinks, I then went over to their curries station to get my meal.

My Dinner @ RM 6.00
As mentioned before, the available selection was excellent and I was spoilt for choice. After great contemplation, I selected my dishes and returned to our table. I choose some Fried Bitter Gourd, Long Beans, Ayam Masak Kicap and Fish Curry. Once back to the table, one of the waiters came over to evaluate what I had taken to write the bill and he had charged me RM 6.00 for the above. I feel that the price was very reasonable for the number of items that I have taken. Now, time to enjoy my meal.

Fish Curry

Fish Curry
Their Fish Curry was excellent! It is definitely the best that I have tasted in Tanjung Malim (Indian Muslim Style). It was not the watered down version and was filled with aromatic spices. Do note that their Fish Curry is cooked with Fish Head and that gives it an extra punch. Excellent and I would rate this at 9/10 .

Long Beans Perattal

Long Beans Perattal
Another good preparation. What I love most about this is simply the fact that the beans were still fresh and not overcooked like what is commonly served in most Indian restaurants. And the mixture of ingredients had given it an excellent taste too. I would rate this at 9/10 .

Fried Bitter Gourd

Fried Bitter Gourd
Fried Bitter Gourd is one of my favourites and goes very well with Fish Curry. Of course not all would have a liking for this as it is generally bitter. Somehow I just love this vegetable and loved the preparation here. Dipped into flour and deep fried to a golden brown perfection. These little rings were a true delight. I would rate them at 9.5/10 .

Ayam Kicap

Ayam Kicap
A commonly found dish in most Nasi Kandar outlets. This was not up to that standard of those authentic Nasi Kandar joints, nevertheless it was still considered very good for a day to day Indian Muslim restaurant. It had a thick coating of Kicap (Soy Sauce) and tasted sweet and spicy. Good I would say and my rating for this shall be 8.8/10 .

Our Bill For The Day
Overall, I am very happy with the food here. Seriously, I did not expect the food to be this good and came with low expectations. Now, I am truly overwhelmed and would definitely be a returning customer. Looking forward to tasting more of their dishes soon!

Address: No. 5, Jalan Cahaya, Taman Anggerik Desa, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak

Opening Hours: 24 Hours Daily (Closed from 1200 - 1400 on Fridays)

No comments:

Post a Comment