Monday 6 July 2015

Restoran Jaya @ Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur

Restoran Jaya is one of the newer restaurant's in Brickfields that is located along Jalan Thambipillai, the stretch of road that is parallel to Jalan Tun Sambanthan, just behind the Monorail Station that's located across the street from NU Sentral Mall. I was here sometime in April this year and that was to takeaway some tiffin for dinner. Having been very impressed with the food then, I made a mental note to return someday to try their full meals for lunch and here I am. This restaurant belongs to the Penang famous Jaya Catering.

All Busy

Vegetarian Dishes

Non Vegetarian Dishes
We were here at sharp 1 PM and they were full house and all the staffs were very busy running around serving customers. Fortunately, my friend and I managed to get a place somewhere close to the curries' station. That's kind of convenient too as we would get immediate attention from the staffs. Despite being full house, they were all very hardworking and were trying their best to serve customers as fast as possible. It was the same with us. They had asked us if we wanted to go for plate or Banana Leaf Meals and we chose the latter. He then started spreading the leaves on the table and served us. It all happened so fast that I must congratulate them for their speedy service. I then went over to the curries' station to see what's available. As you can see from the above photographs, they have segregated the vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes and the spread was just fantastic. Too many choices that I was a little confused for a moment as to what to select. Finally, after consultation with my friend, I chose the add on's and returned to our table.

Basic Set @ RM 5.50
As for the rice, they have a selection of the usual White Rice and Par Boil rice and I went for the latter as I am so used to that since young. The basic set was priced at RM 5.50 and this comes with Rice, unlimited curries, three vegetables, pickles, Papadam and Rasam. That's a very reasonably priced set. These days, some restaurants are charging somewhere around RM 7 to RM 8 for the same. 

Dhall with Grated Coconut and Carrots
Firstly, I am glad that they did not serve the usual vegetables that we commonly get in most if not all Tamil restaurants these days i.e. Cabbage, Long Beans and Cucumber. Very glad actually. The first vegetable that they served us today was a combination of Dhall, grated Coconut and Carrots. This was lightly spiced, just to add some mild flavour to it and not killing the original flavours from each of those ingredients. Wonderfully prepared, I would rate this at 9/10 .

Radish with Dhall and Ghee
Apologies for the blur picture quality. This was another unique dish. It's a combination of Radish cooked with some Dhall and Ghee. The taste was so divine. The Radish and Ghee combination was simply out of this world. Absolutely loved this and I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

Mango Gravy
This is a very very rare dish. The last time I had this was some 20 years ago and that too was prepared by my late Grandmother. Their preparation here was excellent! Mildly sour mangoes were used and cooked in a spicy gravy. The combination was just amazing. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Lime Pickles
The Lime Pickles was also very good and it was really fresh. From the taste of it, I very well know that it was made by them and not those bottled ones. Though the volume seems minimal, it was mega potent and one that would give a current of shivers running through your body with each bite. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Sambar

Sambar
Now, time to try out some of their curries. The first curry that we tried was their Sambar. This came with a lot of vegetables and was definitely the thicker version with Asafoetida added. One that is rare in Malaysia but the common standard in Tamil Nadu. As a result, it had a very bold and deep taste to it and we just loved it. I would rate their Sambar at 9.4/10 .  

Pulicha Kirai

Pulicha Kirai
Pulicha Kirai (or Gongura as it is called in Andhra Pradesh) is a sour and salty vegetable preparation that is very good for the health as it has a lot of Anti Inflammatory properties. Here, they had prepared it with tamarind and some Dhall. The preparation was just very good. You would be surprised to hear that my Chinese fried that accompanied me almost emptied the container. That was just how much he loved it, in fact me too. I would rate this preparation at 9/10 .

Kara (Spicy) Kulambu

Kara (Spicy) Kulambu
Among all the gravies that we tried today, this was the winner. It was just amazing. Slightly sour and just when that sourness starts to settle on the palate, a bold note of spiciness hits and it's just superb. A big congratulations to the one who prepared this and I would rate it at 10/10 .

Local Goat Perattal @ RM 6.00

Local Goat Perattal @ RM 6.00
Firstly, for the price the portion was quite huge. Secondly, it is considered very cheap as they had used local goat instead of the Australian lamb. But, the preparation was a slight let down. Since I was so impressed with the earlier dishes, I expected this to be great as well but it turned out to be just okay. Lacked chili powder too. Would have been better if it was slightly spicier. Overall, a bland dish and I would rate this at 5.5/10 only.

Tandoori Chicken @ RM 7.20

Tandoori Chicken @ RM 7.20
RM 7.20 for this is indeed cheap. Even in a small town like Tanjung Malim, the Tandoori Chicken is priced at RM 9.00 . Taste wise, it was the best that I had tasted in Kuala Lumpur and I am very surprised as this comes from a Tamil restaurant. The preparation had definitely beaten many of the Punjabi restaurants that are there in Brickfields. The meat was extremely tender, juicy and the marination was heavenly. I could still smell the aroma now as I type this. Amazing stuff and I would rate this at 10/10 .

Milagu Rasam

Milagu Rasam
Just like all the other Banana Leaf restaurants, this Rasam too was provided complimentary with the basic set. Today, they had prepared Milagu Rasam instead and the preparation was good. Slightly sour, the concoction was just perfect and I would rate this at 9.3/10 .

Sweet Lassi @ RM 4.50

Sweet Lassi @ RM 4.50
After having done with our lunch, my friend ordered this Sweet Lassi and it was priced at RM 4.50 . I did get to taste it and it was excellent.Served cold, it was one of those creamy and fresh Lassi's that I have tasted. Definitely recommended and I would rate this at 9/10 .

Bru Coffee @ RM 2.00

Bru Coffee @ RM 2.00
Being a Coffee lover, I went for their Bru Coffee and this was priced at RM 2.00 for a large glass. Very decent pricing and the Coffee was lovely! I would rate this at 9/10 .

The last visit here, I returned happy. This visit, I returned being in a state of ecstasy! Except for the Mutton, everything else was so good. I wonder how they manage to keep the standards so high. Definitely returning soon for more. Restaurant Jaya....I just love your food guys! Keep up the great work.

Address: No. 51, Jalan Thambipillai, Off Jalan Tun Sambanthan,
                50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 2300 Daily

Telephone: +603 2274 2625 

No comments:

Post a Comment