Monday 20 July 2015

Restoran Tanjong Malim @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Restoran Tanjong Malim, or commonly known as 123 to the locals (for which I do not know the reason) has been around for almost a decade now. This restaurant is located directly opposite the Thandayuthapani Temple and is along the same row as Restaurant Go Onn. This restaurant has seen many changes in management over the years and for about a year or two now, for lunch, it is open to a number of stall operators who run their lunch time business from here. I have blogged about these stalls in the past. Of late however, there is another guy who comes in and prepares some common Chinese dishes in the evenings. He occupies two of the stalls and literally cooks anything that one would want him to prepare, provided he has the ingredients for it. He starts at around 5 pm and this goes on till 11 pm. I have observed a decent crowd in the nights after this guy started his business and it seems very encouraging. Previously, the restaurant is closed at nights as there were no stall takers wanting to operate at that hour. Good progress indeed. Being curious, I decided to drop by to takeaway something for dinner today.

The Restaurant in Taman Anggerik Desa

The Chef and His Assistant

Busy At Work
There were a number of tables that were occupied this evening. I was here at around 8.00 pm and it seemed that he had more takeaway orders than dine-in's. Ordering was simple. Just inform the assistant and wait for them to be ready. It was very impressive to see him work. He was very fast and skillful. From peeking at those dine in's, it seemed that he also does those simple dishes that are commonly found in Chinese Restaurants. I only had to wait around 10 minutes and the three dishes that I ordered were done. That's extremely fast bearing in mind that only one is doing the cooking. As I collected my takeaway, I paid them for it and it was quite cheap or perhaps I should say that it was cheaper than the other restaurants in town. Could this be the sole reason for the crowd? I can only tell once I get to taste the dishes back home.

Cantonese Style Noodles @ RM 5.00

Cantonese Style Noodles @ RM 5.00

Kuey Teow and Fried Noodles
The first dish that I tasted was the above Cantonese Style Noodles. It was a mix of Kuey Teow and Fried Noodles. Firstly, the broth was typically bland and tasteless. Secondly, the skill of frying the Noodles was not there as they have very quickly expanded and lost their crisp. A bad preparation. I only had this simply because I was hungry. As for the rating, I would only give this a 5/10 . A very average preparation!

Fried Rice @ RM 5.00

Fried Rice @ RM 5.00
This again was quite tasteless and I had to add some light Soy Sauce to give it some flavour. The rice too was not perfectly fried and seemed more like a novices' preparation. Too little eggs, lack of Lap Cheong (Chinese Sausages) and the bland taste was definitely a recipe for failure.Not good and I would rate this at 4/10 . 

Fried Kuey Teow @ RM 5.00

Fried Kuey Teow @ RM 5.00

Fried Kuey Teow @ RM 5.00
This was the worst among the lot! No shrimps, lack of salt and an overload of Bean Sprouts that spoilt the overall taste. The frying was once again synonymous to that of a beginner. Not advisable to order this and I would rate this at 3/10 . 

Overall, none of the dishes that we ordered were good. They were cheap but not at acceptable taste levels. Could it have been simply because he was rushing? I don't quite know but from the pictures itself you could surely tell that they were unappetising. I doubt that I would be returning soon unless I hear some positive feedback from my friend's that this guy's cooking has improved. Otherwise, it's a no from me.

Address: No. 1, Jalan Cahaya, Taman Anggerik Desa, 
                35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1700 - 2300 Daily
                            (Off Days Are Not Fixed)

No comments:

Post a Comment