Wednesday 15 July 2015

Restoran V. Vanan @ Hulu Bernam, Selangor

Restoran V. Vanan has been around for at least 25 years now. This started as a simple Indian restaurant that serves Nasi Lemak and Roti Canai 24 hours a day. As the owner has aged, these days he does not operate such long hours anymore. This restaurant is located on the Ulu Bernam side of town, right beside the entrance to Kampung Kilang Papan. Today, this restaurant has transformed itself into a Chinese eatery with the main restaurant being the same but with an addition of another Chinese Stall here which sells noodles. The main restaurant nowadays opens at 7 am and closes at around midnight. During the day, he sells breakfast items along with Indian mixed rice for lunch and come evenings, it is mainly Roti Canai, Capati, Poori and Mee Goreng. The Chinese stall however dominates the scene from around 6 pm till around 11 pm. 

That's The Chinese Stall At The Far End

Indoor and Outdoor Seats Available

Simple Layout

Roti Canai Station
If I am not mistaken, sometime in January this year I have done an entry on the Chinese stall here. This entry however, shall be focusing on Vanan's food itself. He has recently started selling Chapati and Poori and had on many occasions requested me to try them. This is one of my usual evening tea hangout and as such, we see each other almost daily. Having been reminded by him many times over, I decided to try them today.

Poori @ RM 1.30 each

Poori @ RM 1.30 each
Firstly, I tried their Poori and this was priced at RM 1.30 each. This was served with some Potato Curry and Ikan Bilis (Anchovies) Sambal. I shall speak about the sides shortly. The Poori was quite bad to be honest. It was not at all soft as it should be. This was crispy like Papadams and they were just too thick and hard. Cheap but not up to the basic expectations.It was hardly even possible to scoop the side dishes with the Poori as it was just cracking up like crackers. I did inform him about this and requested him to improve to which he thankfully acknowledged. I would only rate this at 3/10 .

Chapati @ RM 1.30 each

Chapati @ RM 1.30 each
The next one that I tried was his Chapati. This again was not up to the mark. Firstly, each one was unique in it's shape. Some looked like Penang Island and some like the map of Tamil Nadu. I simply asked him in a jokingly manner if he was trying to prepare these Chapati's to look like certain cities and he got the message. Another point would be that they were simply too hard and dry. The good thing is that he had attempted at making these solely using Whole Wheat Flour (Atta Flour) and unlike most places that mix this with Plain Wheat Flour. He has just got to get the staffs to improve on the mixing and technique and in no time, they would be on track. I would rate these at 5/10 .

Potato Curry

Potato Curry
I know that the last two items were not up to mark but this was simply amazing. It was the best Potato Curry that I have tasted and for this alone, I was all out to eat two Poori's and Chapati's. Simple preparation but he had perfected it so well. I would rate this at 9.7/10 .

Anchovies & Onion Sambal

Anchovies & Onion Sambal
Another one that was simply divine. Medium sized Anchovies had been cooked with onions and chilies and had been made into such a delicious Sambal, Very spicy but it was so good and addictive. Superb is the word and I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

I am one who is very open and direct with my reviews and I even mentioned to him what my thoughts were on the food tried today and he was so happy for the honest review and accepted it with an intent on improving. The first two definitely need more improvement and the last two were simply out of this world. I would definitely recommend the last two items and for now, best to try those with his already perfected Roti Canai instead of Chapati or Poori's. 

Address: Restoran V. Vanan, beside the entrance to Kampung Kilang Papan, 
                Jalan Besar Ulu Bernam, 35900 Hulu Bernam, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 0000 Daily
                           Closed on Tuesdays

Telephone: +6012 251 0103 

No comments:

Post a Comment