Wednesday 11 March 2015

Aman Gado Gado @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Gado Gado is a Sundanese dish which originates from Indonesia and is known as 'Lotek' in Sundanese and Javanese languages. Gado Gado literally means 'Mix Mix' which is exactly what the dish is all about. It is typically a mixture of a number of steamed vegetables, Tofu, Tempeh, Potato's and even Tapioca Crackers and it is served with a spicy Peanut Sauce, not to be confused with the Peanut Sauce used for Satay's as the preparation methods are entirely different.  This is a commonly found food item and is considered a street food in Indonesia. Every time I am in Indonesia, I make it a point to try this dish as it is one of those Indonesian dishes that I truly love. Having asked around, I was told that one of the best Gado Gado's in this region is located in Tanjung Malim and this was told to me by a friend of mine from Kuala Lumpur. I was truly surprised as I have not know the existence of such a stall here, being born and bred in Tanjung Malim. Apparently this stall is owned and managed by a school mate of ours in the Medan Selera which is located in town, a place that I hardly venture into as the entire place is nothing but a flopped construction effort by the local town council. Okay, I guess I better stay away from local politics in this blog and concentrate simply on this stall. I was also told that this stall has been here for almost a decade now. Being determined to check the place out, I went over this evening. 

The Stall In Medan Selera Tanjung Malim

Play Ground At The Medan Selera

Quite A Number Of Stalls...But Mostly Closed....Always....

Standard Food Court Seatings
This Medan Selera has about 30% occupancy. Some of those stalls open for breakfast till lunch and some the whole day, but none at night. Aman's Gado Gado stall was Stall Number 20 which was located on the right wing of the building. The place is just a standard Medan Selera concept but the clientele was quite good. Sad to see such a good potential place go to waste. 

Prices Of Food Items

Nasi Ayam
I arrived close to 5 pm and he was already clearing the stall to go back home. Seeing me, he recognised me as a fellow school mate and started a chatty conversation. This went on for a while till he too realised that I actually came here for food. He had quite a variety of dishes and they were all typical Indonesia dishes, except for the Chicken Rice. He had Gado Gado, Soto, Curry Mee, Prawn Mee, Chicken Rice and ABC. Though he was closing, he obliged willingly and that was so nice of him. I asked for Chicken Gado Gado and he told me to have a seat while he prepares it and then one of his staffs would send it over. Very friendly guy, just like the old days. 

Chicken Gado Gado @ RM 4.50

Served In A Spicy Peanut Sauce

The Sauce Was So Good

Sliced Eggs and Chicken Chunks
Within five minutes, the Gado Gado was sent over to the table. It was so delicious looking. I must confess that it was the best that I have tried in Malaysia. I have tried this at numerous places in Malaysia and none have come even anywhere close to this. The dish was rich with ingredients and the spicy Peanut Sauce was heavenly! Sincerely the best in Malaysia! Everything was so good with not a single flaw. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Going forward, this would be a place that I would promote without hesitations. The food was absolutely good and for the price, it was so worth it. If I was a Gado Gado lover, I would not mind travelling the distance to Tanjung Malim to just savour this dish which was a true delight. Highly recommended!

Address: Stall No. 20, Medan Selera Tanjung Malim, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0800 - 1730 Daily

Telephone: +605 4596 890 & +6014 669 3544 ( Bulk Reservations Over Phone Are Accepted)

No comments:

Post a Comment