Friday 13 March 2015

Old Friend Hong Kong Dim Sum @ Bandar Puteri, Puchong

It has been some time that I went for some good Dim Sum. I happened to be in Bandar Puteri this morning and there are two Dim Sum places here that I have bookmarked for some months now. I have read some good reviews on those places on Foursquare though I don't see much on the internet. Perhaps this is one of those places that food bloggers have not visited yet. After going around the place a couple of times, I finally sighted one of them. This restaurant is called Old Friend Hong Kong Dim Sum and is located along Jalan Puteri 5/7 . Please do note that this is a NON HALAL restaurant.

Old Friend Hong Kong Dim Sum located along Jalan Puteri 5/7

The Restaurant

The Restaurant
It was a weekday and this was around 10 am, therefore I did not expect to see much customers here. Even so, there were two large families here along with another small table that was occupied. The place was simple. The restaurant has been separated into two sections. The outer one is for smokers and the other is a non smoking area. Both areas were air-conditioned.  

Varieties Of Dim Sum Here

Varieties Of Dim Sum Here
We were waiting for someone to come and take our orders but no one was around. I then walked into the kitchen which is when I saw the owner, a lady who was busy steaming the Dim Sum's. She was assisted by one other foreign worker. She gave me a blur look and I asked her if they had a menu. She requested me to hold on and then brought all the above out to my table. These were un-steamed dumplings and she mentioned that since it was a weekday, their part time help was not around and therefore, they were shorthanded. She also went on to say that on weekdays, they have a limited variety, sisteen in total and asked me to choose from the selection available. We then choose our items, placed our drink order's and then she disappeared into the kitchen. I also understand from her that besides these Dim Sum's, they also had Chee Cheong Fun and Loh Mai Kai available. 

Local Coffee @ RM 2.30

Local Coffee @ RM 2.30
Within minutes, the worker brought my coffee over. Their local Coffee was quite good. It was the variety that is ground with margarine and charcoal. Tasted really good and one that I would rate at 9/10 . 

Cutlery

Different Variety of Kg. Koh Sauce
This is a brand that I am not familiar with, not sure if it is cheaper and did not taste as good as the original Kampung Koh Sauce. Slightly on the sweeter side, I didn't quite like this as it lacked the 'oompphhh' factor. I would rate this at 7/10 .

Stuffed Brinjals @ RM 5.00


Crab Meat with Green Peas @ RM 5.00

Bacon and Meat wrapped with Cabbage @ RM 5.00

Shrimp Dim Sum @ RM 5.00

Seaweed Dim Sum @ RM 5.00

Different Variety of Stuffed Tofu @ RM 5.00

Black Pepper Pork Dim Sum @ RM 5.00

Stuffed Tofu @ RM 5.00

Siu Mai @ RM 5.00
Their Dim Sum's were very good. The meat and the ingredients used were very fresh and it is clearly not those factory made ones. These are made daily at this very restaurant, prepared by the lady boss herself. The prices are slightly a premium, nevertheless the taste does justice to the price paid. Loved every single one of those items. I would rate these at 9.3/10 . Definitely a good Dim Sum place. 

Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 6.00

Comes With Choices Of Shrimp or Char Siew

Lovely Char Siew
Besides the Dim Sum, we also ordered a plate of Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun that was priced at RM 6.00 per plate. This comes in two choices of either Shrimps or Char Siew and we went for the latter. The Chee Cheong Fun was good, the Char Siew was sweet and succulent and the Cheong Fun was good to be eaten on it's own. We did not need the accompanying Chili Paste to go with this at all. One of the best that I have eaten and I would rate this at 9.4/10 . Fresh and delicious Chee Cheong Fun!

Half The Bill
Well, that is half a bill as they made a mistake and had to produce two sets of bills for the items consumed. I did not mind it as long as I am not over charged in any way. Coming back to the food here, all the items that we tried this morning were very good. From the Coffee to the Dim Sum, everything was perfect. What I like most about this place is the freshness of the food. Definitely a Dim Sum place that I would highly recommend! 

Address: No. 65, Jalan Puteri 5/7, Bandar Puteri, 47100 Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0730 - 1600 Daily

2 comments:

  1. Visited this reatsurant (November 5th, 2015 at 11.00am) after reading it at Free Malaysia Today. The food is lousy and expensive. The Chee Cheong Fun was stale (prawn was not fresh) and Loh Mai Kai tasted flat & chicken meat smelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pak Deh, thank you for the feeeback. I appreciate friends giving feedback like this regardless of whether it had been good or bad as it reflects on the place ability to remain consistently good. Some friends tried the place right after I posted my review here and they found the food to be good but again expensive, similar to my narration above. Sad to hear that the quality had dropped now. What a shame. Thank you again for the kind feedback. Appreciate it Sir! :)

      Delete