Sunday 22 March 2015

Singh Chapatti House @ Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur

Singh Chapatti House is another Punjabi restaurant that is located along Jalan Thambypillai in Brickfields. I have visited them previously sometime in 2013 and found the food to be quite good. This evening since my parents were in the mood for Chapati's, I decided to stop by to do some take away. This restaurant originally started in 2010 under the name of Mr. Singh Restaurant. They were mainly doing Ala-Carte dishes and the business was good but sometime in end 2011, the place closed down. I am not sure what the reason was behind that closure and subsequently the new management bought over, changed the name to it's present name and continues to run the place by the same name today. Even today, they still have those Ala-Carte dishes like Briyani's etc. but the main dish that sells here is their Chapati's. 

Singh Chapatti House in Brickfields

Freshly Prepared Chapati's
From my observation, business here is not as good as Sentral Chapati House. Nevertheless, they still have their loyal customer base as some do prefer the food here more than Sentral's. The concept is very much the same. Freshly made Chapati's are served and these are prepared at the outer section of the restaurant.  The curries too are lined up at this very section. I guess, it is the same modus-operandi at most Punjabi restaurants. Since I was here to do take away's, I did not bother myself with ordering the food first. Instead, I went in to have a drink and then later to decide on what I wanted to take away.

The Air-Conditioned Dining Hall

The Air-Conditioned Dining Hall
The restaurant had not changed a bit and looked very much the same from my previous visit in 2013. The place itself is not as impressive as Sentral Chapati House but is relatively comfortable and clean. The place is manned by the owners themselves, must be a family thingy as all of them seemed to look very much alike. I then took my place and ordered a glass of Masala Tea. 

Fresh Milk Masala Tea @ RM 3.20
A glass of Fresh Milk Masala Tea was priced at RM 3.20 . It was served hot and it tasted really good. This was far better than what I had had in Sentral a few days earlier. In fact, as a matter of comparison, this set a new standards and I would say that this was the best Punjabi style Masala Tea that I have ever had. Very good indeed and I would rate this at 9.8/10 . Excellent!

Vegetarian Dishes

Vegetarian Dishes

Non Vegetarian Dishes
Once I was done with my drink, I went over to the front to see what they had to offer. I ordered 5 Chapati's and then had a look at their curries. They surely had lesser variety when compared with Sentral's but the good thing here is that they had segregated vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes into two sections. If one wanted more choices, then you would have to order from their Menu. For example, I was looking for Mutton Keema but that was not available and the guy attending to me told me that those are only available Ala-Carte. I had a glance at their menu and that dish was priced at RM 8.00  for a small portioned dish. Having looked at the prices, I did not want to go in that direction and decided to stick with what they had to offer instead. And so I went for all vegetarian dishes, paid for them and left. I shall speak more on the individual dishes below. 

Chapati's @ RM 1.50 each

Chapati's @ RM 1.50 each
Chapati's are priced similarly at RM 1.50 but the Chapati's here were very much thicker and tastier when compared to that of Sentral Chapati House. Being thicker did not mean that they were harder, in fact they were equally soft. All of us at home found these Chapati's to be much better and it was an agreement in unison. I would rate these at 9.7/10 .

Mashed Spinach with Curd @ RM 3.00
I was having the price at Sentral Chapati House as a benchmark and asked these guys to pack this for RM 2.00 . He mentioned that any item with Curd or Cottage Cheese added would cost RM 3.00 as a minimum. Having had to agree, I just went for the minimum quantity and thus the price of RM 3.00 for this. The Spinach was quite bland actually. It was creamy, no doubt about it but otherwise, it did not have any other taste. I was expecting it to be slightly on the sour side but alas, that was just not there. A disappointing dish and I would rate this at 4/10 only.

Sour Curry @ RM 3.00
This was the similar sour curry that I had had in Sentral Chapati House a few days ago and being another dish with curd added, this too was priced at RM 3.00 for the above portion. This was anytime better than the earlier Spinach but it was not up to the mark of what I had tasted in Sentral Chapati House. For me, this was good but not as great and as such, I shall rate this at 7/10 .

Spicy Brinjals with Potato @ RM 2.00
This was a dish that I could order for RM 2.00 as the minimum order quantity. It was a spicy preparation made from Brinjals and Potato's in a Masala like manner. This dish was good, once again not 'great', but just plain and simple good. I would rate this at 8/10 .

Contact Details

Location Map
As a summary, I find that the prices here are on the high side. The Chapati's and Tea were simply fantastic but the curries were just mediocre. Perhaps, it would be best to buy the Chapati's from this restaurant and buy the curries from Sentral Chapati House instead, provided I am doing take away's. The selection of Punjabi Sweets too were very much limited and the Tea Time snacks were solely limited to their Samosa's whereas you get much greater variety at Sentral Chapati House. Comparing them apple to apple, I guess I would prefer to dine in at Sentral Chapati House but if I was doing take away's, then the formula above would definitely apply.

Address: No. 55, Jalan Thambypillai, Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0800 - 0000 Daily

Telephone: +603 2272 1215 & +6012 298 5118 ( Mr. Piara Singh)

No comments:

Post a Comment