Tuesday 3 March 2015

Moorthy's Mathai Indian Rice Stall @ Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur

Moorthy's Mathai had recently broken up from their partnership and have started their own restaurant in Pelangi Damansara, Kota Damansara which I have blogged on sometime earlier this year. That was the first time that I am trying out the famous eatery which is very famous for their Fried Fish. All these years that they have been in Brickfields, I have never once visited their stall. It is not that I did not want to but Brickfields is just a little too far for me and therefore my chances of going there is almost remote. Having tried Moorthy's Mathai restaurant and fallen in love with their Fried Fish, I was curious how the other partner is still doing after the break up and thus, made a visit to Brickfields, mainly for this reason. 

Money's Corner Food Court Along Jalan Vivekananda

Entrance To The Food Court

Inside The Food Court
This stall is located inside Money's Corner Food Court which is located along Jalan Vivekananda. Those days, this is the very stall that was located in Peking Hotel when R. Moorthy and K.O. Mathai started the stall in 1969. Finding the place can be quite tricky.  Assuming that you are coming from NU Sentral using the overhead bridge leading into Jalan Tun Sambanthan, take the escalator down and you would arrive right at the Monorail Station. Here keep walking straight for another one minute (could be less for those walking faster) till you see an open air car park on your left. At this car park, there would be some stalls with a small restaurant on the right side. Turn left here and keep walking pass these stalls till you see Legend's Claypot Briyani Restaurant on your right. Between the stalls and the Legend's restaurant, you would see the entrance to Money's Corner Food Court. This stall is located at the far end of the food court. This food court is usually crowded during lunch hours, yet finding a place to sit should not be that difficult, especially if you are not fussy in sharing a table with other customers. 

The Stall

Busy During Lunch Hours

Good Variety

Good Variety

Fish & Chicken Fried Upon Request

Fish & Chicken Fried Upon Request
The stall occupied a large area in the food court, in fact one of the largest spaces for a single stall in this food court. I was reading some comments on FourSquare earlier today and learned that their key selling items preferred by many are their Fried Fish and Mutton Curry and I made a mental note to order those. There were three staffs manning the stall, two Indian guys and an Indonesian girl. The variety was not great but good and all the dishes looked good. They had some packaged sets but I decided on going specifically for the items that I like most. Fish and Chicken are fried upon request on site at no additional charges. 

My Lunch @ RM 9.00
There are no Banana Leaf meals here since it is in a Food Court. Nevertheless, they use aluminium plates with a banana leaf laid over it before serving the food. The staffs here are very friendly and they are extremely quick in managing the crowd. Even when I was here this afternoon, the place was packed with people but I never had the feel at this stall. They were quick to attend to customers and disperse the crowd. I had some Par Boil Rice (both Rice options are available), Chicken Curry, Fried Fish, Snake Gourd Perattal, Potato Perattal, Mutton Perattal and some Rasam served in an ever silver tumbler. My meal was priced at RM 9.00 which I would surely consider as cheap bearing in mind the number of items I took. I then paid for the meal and went back to my table to enjoy my little feast!

Chicken Curry
I decided to go for some Chicken Curry with my rice. Their Chicken Curry tasted good, slightly watery but more on the milky side with a mild spice aftertaste. I would consider this to be good, not great but definitely good. The spiciness was also mild and would be suitable for all, although on a personal note, I would have preferred a more spicier one. I would rate this at 7/10 .

Potato Perattal
Being a Potato fan, I loved their Potato Perattal and the preparation. This too was mildly spicy but besides that, it was tasting great. They were not stingy on the portions too. I would rate this at 9.2/10 .

Snake Gourd Perattal
Snake Gourd Perattal tasted good too. It had loads of Dhall and Ghee added to the dish making it truly tasty. Just like the Potato Perattal, this too was lavish in portions. I would rate this at 9.1/10 .

Mutton Perattal
Sorry for the bad photo quality as I did not recheck the photographs. Seems a little out of focus. Sorry again. Well coming back to this dish, this Mutton Perattal was simply awesome. It had no fats and the cuts were lean chunks. The gravy too was thick and so delicious. The only setback would be that once again, it was not spicy. I guess this is so as they are catering for various people with different taste buds. Otherwise, an excellent preparation and I would rate this at 9/10 . A highly recommended dish here!

A Thick Chunk Of Fried Fish
Just like that of the Moorthy's Mathai Restaurant, this stall too cooks up some perfect Fried Fish! Similarly, their cuts too are huge. The pieces are juicy, thick and succulent. Excellent marination and fried to perfection. Every food lover's dream piece of Fried Fish. Loved this and I would rate this at 9.7/10 . A highly recommended dish here! 

Rasam
Finally after my hearty meal, I washed it down with a cup of delicious Rasam. The Rasam here was a perfect one. They were not stingy with the spices thus delivering a delightful Rasam. I actually went back to the stall and asked for another glass full. They obliged without charging me anything. A heavenly Rasam and I would rate this at 9.5/10 . Another highly recommended item here.

In summary, I truly loved this place. The food is equally good  when compared to the other Mathai Restaurant and the prices are very reasonable, if not cheap. Every single dish that I tried was so good. I would not mind eating here literally everyday. An excellent place and goes out highly recommended! 

Address: Money's Corner Food & Beverage Station, 144A Jalan Vivekananda, 
                Off Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1100 - 1530 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment